My time at Jorge’s farm ended on the 3rd of March. I had my bags packed, did a few jobs in the morning and started to read the book I had picked up at his house to pass the time until my friend Angelia (Jorge’s nanny) came to get me. Well, the time I thought we arranged came and went and I was still at Jorge’s house. This, was not pleasing to Jorge, he did not recommend that I go with Angelia because she was not part of the WWOOF organization, but I decided (after considering his concerns) that this was my trip and I will do what I want. Jorge was in and out of the house doing errands. When he came back at 3 and I was still at the house he decided that I go to his friends farm in the mountains. He called the friend, told her I would be calling soon, and told me to call when he got off the phone with her. I call, she only speaks Spanish, and I ask if I can stay one week on her farm. She tells me yes; so 20 minutes later Jorge and I are at the bus terminal. I asked if he would go with me to the farm and he said of course! Well, that was a lie. He just took me to the bus terminal, waited with me until the bus was there and asked a few people if they would help me. Luckily the people on the bus knew where I was going because I had no idea. Jorge wasn’t very clear with where to get off and the bus system in Chile just stops wherever...there are no “designated” stops. The man that helps me tells the driver to stop, helps me off, gets my bags, then boards the bus while I pay. I am left with my two huge suitcases, my backpack, and computer bag on this dirt road in the middle of the mountains. I pull out my cell to call Cintilla and I have no service, great, just great, I have no idea where I am supposed to go! I decide to start walking and after a few minutes pull my bags to the side to walk without dragging them over the rocks, dirt, and mud. I see no one...I see a house but there is no one inside. I walk back to my bags and think what I should, I try one more time to find people. This time I walk up to one of the houses and ask if they know Cintilla; my friends I have walked straight into the house I am supposed to be at! I am SO relieved and tell them my bags are by the main road.
So, I am at my unexpected farm number 2 and I absolutely love it! The farm has grapes (red and green), ducks, chickens, pears, apples, peaches, and so much more! The family is from the Canary Islands and moved to Chile about 8 years ago. There are four children and the farm next door has WWOOFers that I have been able to spend some time with. This was the type of farm I was expecting when I signed up for WWOOF. I shower, eat, and work at the house but sleep in a friends unfinished cabin on an air mattress just on the other side of the property. The nights are cool and quite unlike the nights at Jorge’s where cars and buses were passing by at all hours of the night. I know I will enjoy my one week here and I wish I could spend one more!
No comments:
Post a Comment