Sunday, April 10, 2011

Farming with Andy and Carmen

I spent a total of two weeks with Andy and Carmen, one week at Puquelehue and one week at their place in Valdivia named Nanihue. During my time at Puquelehue I arrived just at the end of season but the beginning of preserving time, so I became quite familiar with the kitchen, a nice change from working outside. I can now say that I am a pro at peeling and cutting peaches and tomatoes! I made some amazing peach marmalade and the great thing is it’s so easy I don’t think I will be buying any store bought jams in the future! I also learned how to make chutney but I wasn’t a huge fan so I won’t be making it in the states. I milked my first cow and it was thrilling but a little tiring at the same time. I enjoyed the milk with my coffee that morning and I am a little relieved I don’t have to milk a cow every morning. I also helped with picking raspberries and tomatoes, and watering the plants. One afternoon Carmen took my on a walk around her property and on top of on of their hills they have an amazing view of the valley they live in, the surrounding farms, and the Bio Bio River; a gorgeous view and a great walk!
            Nanihue is located just outside of Valdivia, a place south of Puquelehue.  Andy and Carmen have just started living in the house and planting trees and crops. So at this place I helped their hired help, Don Victor, clear land for the fruit and vegetables and then planted strawberries.  They also have ducks and chickens so I helped with feeding them as well. It was also at Nanihue I witnessed many stages of a Chicken’s life: feeding time, wing clipping time, killing time, and feather plucking time. I did not kill the chicken, Don Victor was given that mighty job, but I did pluck the feathers and ate the chicken!  The weather in Valdivia is similar to the weather in Seattle, but with a little more sunshine. I really enjoyed Valdivia and felt very comfortable walking around and exploring the town a little.
            Carmen’s brother and sister live in Valdivia and I was able to meet them during which Carmen’s nephew invited to show me around town. I accepted and we set up the afternoon before I was to leave for my next farm. The nephew’s name is Juan and he should me the university he attends, the Valdivia River, took me to a nice little place for dinner, and then I experienced my first bar in Chile! There is a type of liquor called pisco that is specific to Chile and maybe one or two other South American countries and so my first drink in Chile was Pisco and it was not bad at all! We had to call it a night early by Chilean standards so I could catch my 8 o’clock bus the next morning.
           To sum it up I had a fun time and enjoy staying with Andy and Carmen, so much so to make my travels easier I have left a suitcase full of unnecessary belongs at their house to pick up before I leave Chile and to ensure I get to see them one more time before departing back to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment