There I was, standing at my gate waiting to board my plane in Atlanta knowing when I got off I would be in Santiago, when I realized I left my passport in my room. Great, just great, now I have to get my bags and find a flight back home....well thankfully that was just a dream and I was able to wake up fro it! However I did find myself in a cunundrum.when I went through customs in Santiago. Excitedly I gave the person my credit card and waiting for my approval that was soon to be denied. There I stood with horror struck eyes, not able to pay my visa and stuck in limbo. You may be asking yourself why not pay with another credit card, well becuase the only other credit card I have is a discover card and they do not take it. Why not pay with cash? Because I was ten dollars short of the visa requirement. Travelers check? Nope, forgot to get those, I only had personal checks. All I can say is you live and you learn, sometimes the hard way. Thankfully the security in Chile as well as the people who represent Delta here in Chile are amazing, patient, and extremely friendly! Without them I would not be in Chile right now! I was able to get everything worked out with my bank from Chile and gladly paid for my Visa. I was not only a 4.5 hour bus ride away from my new farm!
Now let me tell you a little about the family I am staying with. It is a couple with a three year old little girl. They are from Colombia and have been here for about 4 years...from what I understand. I have also learned that they speak about as much English and I speak Spanish-not very much. Communication is the toughest part of this adventure, but somehow we are making it happen! As for my living conditions I sleep in the family-play-office-TV room and have not been able to create a space that is my own. They have running water, a toilet, gas stove, computer, TV, it is a very comfortable living space. As for what the farm grows I have figured out only a portion of the plants: mint, melon, peaches, apples, raspberries, plums, and much more that I still hae yet to learn! They also make their own compost, worm food, that is a little smelly and gross, but I still enjoy learning about it. As far as a ¨"typical" day I have yet to have one. Once I know, that blog will be up ASAP! I hope you are doing well, abrazar y besar from Chile!
Now let me tell you a little about the family I am staying with. It is a couple with a three year old little girl. They are from Colombia and have been here for about 4 years...from what I understand. I have also learned that they speak about as much English and I speak Spanish-not very much. Communication is the toughest part of this adventure, but somehow we are making it happen! As for my living conditions I sleep in the family-play-office-TV room and have not been able to create a space that is my own. They have running water, a toilet, gas stove, computer, TV, it is a very comfortable living space. As for what the farm grows I have figured out only a portion of the plants: mint, melon, peaches, apples, raspberries, plums, and much more that I still hae yet to learn! They also make their own compost, worm food, that is a little smelly and gross, but I still enjoy learning about it. As far as a ¨"typical" day I have yet to have one. Once I know, that blog will be up ASAP! I hope you are doing well, abrazar y besar from Chile!
No comments:
Post a Comment